- Associate Professor of Nursing at CUMC
- Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner, University of Pennsylvania
- DNP, Columbia University
- MS, Family Nurse Practitioner, Columbia University
- Fellowship: Beth Israel Medical Center, NY
Education & Training
- Office Phone: 212-305-0080
- Fax: 212-305-6937
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2011 Eastern Pain Association
- 2011 HPCANYS-Hospice and Palliative Care Association of New York State
- 2009 Diplomate of Comprehensive Care
- 2009 International Society of Nurses in Genetics
- 2000 Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association
- 1991-4 Certified Critical Care Registered Nurse (CCRN)
- 1990-4 Oncology Nursing Society
Honors & Awards
- 2014 Fellow Palliative Care Nurse (HPNA/AAHPM) 2013 Advanced Certified Hospice and Palliative Nurse (ACHPN)
- 2011 Journal of Palliative Care and Medicine-Editorial Board.
- 2011 Wharton Nursing Leaders Program, University of Pennsylvania.
- 2009 Diplomate in Comprehensive Care
- 2007 Recipient of the Glenda Garvey MD- Teaching Academy Educational Grant, Columbia University.
- 2003 Who's Who in American Nursing
- 2002 End of Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC) Trainer. American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- 2001 New York Academy of Medicine (Invited Speaker): Palliative Care in the ICU.
- 2000 Certified Hospice and Palliaitve Care Nurse
- 1999 Fellowship in Palliative Care and Pain Management-Beth Israel Medical Center, NYC
- Palliative Care
- Chronic and Advanced Illness
- Primary Care
- Pain and Symptom Management
- O'Mahony, S., Bines, S., Gerhart, J., Bagwell, E., McHugh, M.E., & Card, A. (2017). Managing pain in patients with chronic medical illnesses and serious mental illnesses. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine. OCTPMID 29088916
- Moody, K., McHugh, M.E., Baker, R., Cohen, H., Pinto, P., Deutsch, S., Santizo, R.O., Schechter, M., Fausto, J., & Joo, P. (2017). Providing pediatric palliative care education using problem-based learning. Journal of Palliative Medicine. PMID: 2876811
- O'Mahony, S., Johnson, T.J., Amer, S., McHugh, M.E., McHenry, J., Fosler, L., & Kvetan, V. (2016). Integration of palliative care advanced practice nurses into the intensive care unit teams. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care. PMID: 26917789
McHugh, M.E., & Buschman, P. (2016). Communication at the time of death. In C. Dahlin, P. Coyne, & P. Ferrell (Eds.), Advanced Practice Palliative Nursing. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
Sherman, D. Bookbinder, M. & McHugh, M. (2015). Palliative Care: Responsive to the Need for Health Care Reform in the United States. In Palliative Care Nursing: Quality Care to the End-of-Life. (4rd Ed). Eds. Marianne Matzo and Deborah W. Sherman. New York: Springer Pub.
- McHugh, M (2013). Hypercalcemia. In C. Dahlin (Ed). Core Curriculum for the Advanced Practice Nurse. Hospice and Palliative Care Association.USA
- Eti S, O'Mahony S, McHugh M, Guilbe R, Blank A, Selwyn P.(2013) Outcomes of the Acute Care Unit in an Academic Medical Center.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2013 May 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- McHugh M , Saultz DM, Wuhrman E and Kosharskyy B.(2012) Interventional Pain Management in the Palliative Care Patient. International Journal of Palliative Nursing 18.(9):426-8, 430-3
- McHugh M, Arnold J and Buschman P (2012). Nursing Leading the Response to the Crisis of Palliative Care for Vulnerable Populations. Nursing Economics, 30 (3)140-47.
- Bookbinder M, Glajchen M, McHugh M, Higgins P, Budis J, Solomon N, Homel P, Cassin C, Portenoy RK.(2011)Nurse Practitioner-Based Models of Specialist Palliative Care at Home: Sustainability and Evaluation of Feasibility.Journal of Pain Symptom Management,41 (1),25-34
- McHugh M & Saultz DM. (2011).Assessment and Management of Gastrointestional Symptoms in Advanced Illness. Primary Care Clinics Office Practice.Eds Serife Eti MD. Philadelphia:Elsevier.
- Bookbinder, M. & McHugh, M. (2010). Societal Perspectives Regarding Palliative Care. In Palliative Care Nursing: Quality Care to the End-of-Life. (3rd Ed). Eds. Marianne Matzo and Deborah W. Sherman. New York: Springer Pub.
- Bookbinder,M. & McHugh, M. (2010).Symptom Management in Palliaitive Care. In Palliative Care and End of Life Care Nursing Clinics of North America.Eds: Margaret M. Mahon and Suzanne Prevost. Philadelphia: Springer
- McHugh, M. (2010). Review of Book: End-of Life Care for the Critically Ill by Graema Rocker ,Kathleen Puntillo, Elie Azoulay, Judith Nelson and Max Watson, Oxford University Press.Journal of Pain and Symptom Management,40 (4),629-630.
- O’Mahony, S., Blank, A., Simpson, J., Persaud, J., Huvane, B., McAllen, S., Davitt, M., McHugh, M.E., Hutcheson, A., Karakas, S., Higgins, P., & Selwyn, P. (2008). Preliminary report of a palliative care and case management project in an emergency department for chronically ill elderly patients. Journal of Urban Health, 85(3), 441-451.
- McHugh, ME.(2008). Pain and anemia after gunshot wound.Advance for Nurse Practitioners,16(1),22-23.
- Rainone, F. & McHugh, M.E. (2007). Patient-centered palliative home care. In A. Blank, S. O'Mahony, & A. Selwyn (Eds). Choices in palliative Care (pp. 31-44). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company
- Bookbinder, M., Blank, A.E., Arney, E., Wollner, D., Lesage, P., McHugh, M.E., Indelicato, R.A., Harding, S., Barenboim, A., Mirazeyev, T., & Portenoy, R.K. (2005). Improving end-of-life care: Development and pilot test of a clinical pathway. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 29(6), 529-43.
- O’Mahony, S., McHugh, M.E., & Selwyn, P.A. (2003). Ventilator withdrawal: Procedures and outcomes, A retrospective review of a collaboration between a critical care division and palliative care service. Journal of Symptom Management, 26(4), 954-961.
- Fitzgerald, M.A., Jones, P.E., Lazar, B., McHugh, M.E., & Wang, C. (1995). The mid-level provider: Colleague or competitor? Patient Care, 20-37.
- Hall, E.K., & McHugh, M.E. (1995). Family practice health care: Making collaborative practice a reality. N & HC Perspectives on Community: Official Publication of the National League for Nursing, 16(5), 270-275.
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov