Research Newsletter Spring 2008
6. CUSON Presence at National Meetings
20th Annual Eastern Nursing Research Society Scientific Sessions
The Eastern Nursing Research Society (ENRS) held its 20th Annual Scientific Sessions in Philadelphia, PA on March 27-28. This year, Columbia University School of Nursing supported ENRS through a Silver Sponsorship. CUSON was well represented at the meeting in terms of ENRS Board of Directors leadership, faculty and student awards, and oral and poster research presentations.
Elaine Larson, PhD, RN was the recipient of the 2008 Eastern Nursing Research
Society’s Distinguished Contribution to Nursing Research Award.
- Diane K. Pastor, DNSc, MBA, RN won the 1st place Doctoral Student Oral Presentation Award at the Eastern Nursing Research Society Scientific Sessions for presentation, "Decision Making by Elderly, Community-Dwelling Spousal Caregivers about Long-Term Care Placement for their Spouses with Alzheimer’s Disease."
- 1st Place Winner, BS/MS Student Poster, "Cancer Mortality and PCE Exposure in Dry Cleaning and Laundry Workers," authors: Erin Nash, Kelly Neale, Kevin New, and Marie Zilius.
- 2nd Place Winner, Early Doctoral Student Poster, “Implementing Evidence Based Nursing with Student Nurses and Clinicians to Improve Patient Care,” authors: Pamela de Cordova, Sarah Collins, Leanne Currie, Lora Peppard, Patricia Stone, and Mary Walsh.
ENRS Faculty Oral Presentations:
- A Biobehavioral Approach to Differentiate Menopause
from Aging Effects on Sleep Function in Healthy Mid-life Women Nancy Reame, Jane Lukacs
- Viewing Sleep Inadequacy as a Continuum: Does it Inform
Associations with Child and Family Health?
Arlene Smaldone, Judy Honig, Mary Byrne
- Human Capital in Nursing Workforce and Patient Outcomes Patricia Stone
ENRS Doctoral Student Oral Presentations:
- Decision Making by Elderly, Community-Dwelling Spousal
Caregivers about Long-Term Care Placement for their Spouses with Alzheimer’s
1st place Doctoral Student Oral Presentation Award
Diane K. Pastor, DNSc, MBA, RN
ENRS Doctoral Student Posters:
- Psychometric Properties of Health Literacy Screening Tools: Informatics Applicability
Sarah Collins, Leanne M. Currie
- Implementing Evidence Based Nursing with Student Nurses and Clinicians to Improve Patient Care
2nd Place Winner, Early Doctoral Student Poster
Pamela B. de Cordova, Sarah Collins, Leanne M. Currie, Lora Peppard, Patricia Stone, Mary Walsh
- Frequency of the B-Glucocerebrosidase(GBA) Mutations, N370S, L444P and RecNciI in Caribbean Hispanic Familial Lewy Body Disease
Nancy Olson, Barbara Ross, Angela Nervi, Lorraine Clark
- Exploratory Study Using Queuing Theory to Improve Nurse Staffing
Patricia Quinlan, Stephanie Goldberg, Linda Green, Sookyung Hyun, Kristine Gebbie, Kwanza Price, Patricia Stone
- Assessment of Nursing Students’ Informatics Competencies
Pre and Post An Informatics for Evidence-Based Practice Curriculum
Rebecca Schnall, Suzanne Bakken, Leanne Currie, Joann Dilone, Olivia Velez
- Efficacy of the Use of Omega-3 Fatty Acids Supplementation on the Improvement of Bipolar Symptoms: A Systematic Review
Mary Cullen-Drill, Teresa Turnbull, Arlene Smaldone
ENRS DNSc Graduate Presentations:
- Self Care and Sexual Practices of Women with HIV in Relation to Pregnancy (oral presentation)
- In-Patient Stays of Asian Patients with Psychiatric Diagnoses in New York City Between 1995 and 1999 (poster presentation)
ENRS BS/MS Posters:
- Cancer Mortality and PCE Exposure in Dry Cleaning and Laundry Workers
1st Place Winner, BS/MS Student Poster
Erin Nash, Kelly Neale, Kevin New, Marie Zilius
- Effectiveness of Sirolimus-Eluting Stents versus Bare Metal Stents for Prevention of Restenosis in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease: A Systematic Review
Shannon Andersen, Kathryn Henry, Michelle Karpinski, Ellen Kelly
18th Annual Meeting of the North American Menopause Society
- Nancy Reame, MSN, PhD, attended the 18th Annual Meeting of the North American Menopause Society in October 2007 as a member of the Board of Directors. She also served as Chair of the Research Committee, Chair of the Abstract Committee, and Moderator for the Scientific Session: Best Abstracts.
18th Annual Meeting of the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA)
- Patricia W. Stone, PhD, MPH gave a plenary session at the 18th Annual Meeting
of the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) in April 2008
entitled, "Sparing the Staff: Does it Spoil the Care?"
- Janet Haas, DSNc, RN, a recent CUSON graduate, received the SHEA Advanced Practice Infection Control Professional Award.