I Am A Columbia Nurse: Susan Mascitelli '74
Nominations are welcomed for alumni who have distinguished themselves in one of the award categories. The nominations open on November 1 and will close on January 31. The Distinguished Alumni Awards (DAA) Committee, will review all nominations and determine each year’s award recipients. The awards are presented at Alumni Reunion each spring at Columbia Nursing. A full list of past recipients, beginning with the first awardee in 1977, Margaret E. Conrad ’20, can be found here.
Award categories include:
- Award for Nursing Practice
- Award for Nursing Research
- Award for Health Policy
- Award for Nursing Education
- Award for Nursing Administration
- Award for Distinguished Career in Nursing
- In Memoriam for Lifetime Achievement
- Neighbors Humanitarian Award
- Honorary Award
- Emerging Leader Award
Purpose: To honor primarily nurse alumni who have demonstrated excellence in nursing practice, nursing research, health policy, nursing education, or nursing administration as well as those who are emerging nurse leaders, who have provided outstanding service to humanity, or have a distinguished career in nursing. Non-alumni or organizations that have made significant contributions to the alumni, School of Nursing, and/or nursing profession may also be considered for an Honorary Distinguished Alumni Award.
Criteria: All nominees must meet four general award criteria before being eligible for any Distinguished Alumni Award, except for those nominated for an Honorary Distinguished Alumni Award. All nominees must meet the specific award criteria listed under the DAA.
- Nominators must submit a completed application for their nominee(s) by the application deadline listed on the Columbia Nursing website at http://nursing.columbia.edu/alumni/distinguished-alumni-awards.
- Completed nomination packets are scored by each member of the Distinguished Alumni Awards Committee using the general and specific award criteria.
- Individual and aggregate scoring analyses are reviewed by the committee.
- The committee members review and discuss each nomination and final decisions are made by consensus.
- Each nominator is notified of the committee decision regarding their nomination(s).
- Recipients are formally notified regarding their selection for a Distinguished Alumni Award and honored at the Alumni Reunion ceremonies.