- Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the School of Nursing
Billy A. Caceres, PhD, RN, AGPCNP-BC is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the School of Nursing and the Program for the Study of LGBT Health at Columbia University. His program of research focuses on identifying and intervening on social determinants of cardiovascular health in LGBT and racial/ethnic minority populations across the lifespan. For his dissertation research that examined stress and cardiovascular disease risk in sexual minority women (lesbian and bisexual women), Dr. Caceres was awarded the 2017 Martha N. Hill New Investigator Award from the American Herat Association's Council on Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing. His research on cardiovascular disease in LGBT populations has been published in the American Journal of Public Health, LGBT Health, and Women’s Health Issues. Dr. Caceres recently received a pilot grant from the NINR-funded Precision in Symptom Self-Management (PriSSM) Center at Columbia University School of Nursing to examine the association of post-traumatic stress symptoms and cardiovascular disease risk in Latinas.
- BA, 2007 Political Science, New York University (NYU)
- BSN, Nursing, New York University (NYU)
- MSN, 2013 Adult/Gerontological Primary Care Nurse Practitioner, New York University (NYU)
- PhD, 2017 Nursing Research and Theory Development, New York University (NYU)
Education & Training
This provider does not accept new patients
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
American Heart Association, 2015-Present
National Association of Hispanic Nurses, 2015-Present
Gay & Lesbian Medical Association, 2014-Present
Eastern Nursing Research Society, 2013-Present
Gerontological Society of America, 2011-Present
Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Honor Society, 2010-Present
Honors & Awards
2018 Fellow, National Institute of Nursing Research Summer Genetics Institute
2018 Winner, American Heart Association’s Council for Cardiovascular and Stroke Nursing Best Abstract Award
2017 Winner, American Heart Association’s Martha N. Hill New Investigator Award
2017 Outstanding Scholarly Contribution to Gerontological Nursing, International Journal of Older People Nursing
2017 Fellow, American Heart Association Ten-Day Seminar on the Epidemiology and Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease and Stroke
2015-2017 American Academy of Nursing Jonas Policy Scholar in Aging
2015-2017 Johnson & Johnson/American Association of Colleges of Nursing Minority Nurse Faculty Scholar
2017 NYU Meyers 2016-2017 Distinguished PhD Student Award
2017 University of Toronto Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing’s Emerging Nurse Scholars Forum
2016 AcademyHealth Diversity Scholar
2014-2016 Jonas Center for Nursing Excellence & Veteran’s Healthcare Nurse Leaders Scholar
2015 Eastern Nursing Research Society’s Outstanding PhD Student Paper, 1 st place
2014-2015 Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation’s Hermann Biggs Health Policy Scholar
2014 Rita & Alex Hillman Foundation Excellence in Nursing Practice
2009 Oncology Nursing Society Baccalaureate Scholarship
2008-2010 Rita & Alex Hillman Foundation Nursing Scholar
2008 New York State Regents Professional Opportunity Scholarship
2008 Louis & Rachel Rudin Foundation Inc. Nursing Scholarship
1. Caceres, B.A., Makarem, N., Hickey, K.T., & Hughes, T.L. (in press). Cardiovascular disease disparities in sexual minority adults: An examination of the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (2014-2016). American Journal of Health Promotion.
2. Caceres, B.A., Brody, A., Dorsen, C., Halkitis, P., Yu, G., & Chyun, D. (2018). Cardiovascular disease risk in sexual minority women (18-59 years old): Findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2001-2012). Women’s Health Issues. 28(4):333-341. doi: 10.1016/j.whi.2018.03.004.
3. Caceres, B.A., Brody, A., Dorsen, C., Halkitis, P., Yu, G., & Chyun, D. (2018). Sexual orientation differences in modifiable risk factors for cardiovascular disease and cardiovascular disease diagnoses in men. LGBT Health. 5(5), 284-294. doi.10.1089/lgbt.2017.0220.
4. Caceres, B.A., Bub, L., Negrete, M.I., Giraldo-Rodriguez, L. & Squires, A.P. (2017). Healthcare professionals’ perceptions of neglect of older people in Mexico: A qualitative secondary analysis. International Journal of Older People Nursing. Advance online publication.13(1). doi: 10.1111/opn.12168.
5. Caceres, B.A., Brody, A., Luscombe, R.,E., Primiano, J.,E., Marusca, P., Sitt, E.,M., & Chyun, D.A. (2017). A systematic review of cardiovascular disease in sexual minorities. American Journal of Public Health, 107(4). doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2016.303630.
6. Caceres, B.A., Brody, A., & Chyun, D.A. (2016). Recommendations for cardiovascular disease research with lesbian, gay, and bisexual individuals. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 25(23-24), 3728-3742. doi: 10.1111/jocn.13415.
7. Caceres, B.A., & Frank, M. (2016). Successful ageing in lesbian, gay, and bisexual older people: A concept analysis. International Journal of Older People Nursing, 11(3), 184-193. doi:10.1111/opn.12108
8. Caceres, B.A., Sadarangani, T.R., Frank, M., Jun, J., Martelly, M., & Sales, P. (2016). Familycaregivers of patients with frontotemporal dementia: An integrative review. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 55, 71-84. doi: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2015.10.016.
9. Caceres, B.A. (2015). King’s theory of goal attainment: Exploring functional status. Nursing Science Quarterly, 8(2), 151-155. doi:10.1177/0894318415571601.
10. Caceres, B.A., Moskowitz, D., & O’Connell, T. (2015). A review of the safety and efficacy of bariatric surgery in older adults: 2002-2013. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners. doi: 10.1002/2327-6924.12235.
11. Frank, M., & Caceres, B.A. (2015). Inflammaging: A concept analysis. Journal of Nurse Practitioners, 11(2), 258-261. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2014.08.005.
12. Caceres, B.A. (2014). Policy implications of a literature review of bariatric surgery in older adults. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 40(9), 14-19. doi: 10.3928/00989134-20140731-02.
13. Caceres, B.A., & Squires, A. (2014). Long-term outcomes of bariatric surgery in older adults. Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management, 21(6), 259-260.
14. Fulmer, T., Strauss, S., Russell, S., Singh, G., Blankenship, J., Vemula, R., Caceres, B.A., Valenti, M., & Sutin, D. (2012). Screening for elder mistreatment in dental and medical clinics. Journal of Gerodontology, 29(2), 96-105. doi: 10.1111/j.1741-2358.2010.00405.x.
For a complete list of publications, please visit PubMed.gov