Publications, Awards, and Other News July 2020
July 23, 2020
- Gregory Alexander was among the authors of “Leveraging Technology to Improve Care of Older Adults,” published in Journal of Gerontological Nursing.
- Gregory Alexander was among the authors of “Qualitative Validation of the Nursing Home IT Maturity Staging Model,” published in Journal of Gerontological Nursing.
- Eileen Carter ’14, Maureen George, Jingjing Shang, and Patricia Stone were among the authors of “Unmet Informational Needs Among Nursing Home Residents Receiving Antibiotics: A Qualitative Study,” published in Journal of Pain and Symptom Management.
- Leah Estrada, Mary Tresgallo ’08, Patricia Stone, and Mansi Agarwal were among the authors of “Palliative Care and Infection Management in Nursing Homes: A Nationwide Survey,” published in Journal of Pain and Symptom Management.
- Amanda Hessels was among the authors of, “Epidemiology and Impact of Healthcare-Associated Infections in Trauma Patients: A National Data Analysis,” published in Surgical Infections.
- Ariana Komaroff ’04 was among the authors of “Implementing a clinical protocol using breastfeeding to mitigate vaccination pain in infants,” published in the Journal of Pediatric Nursing.
- Jianfang Liu, and Elaine Larson were among the authors of “Length of Hospitalization and Hospital Readmissions Among Patients with Substance Use Disorders in New York City, NY USA,” published in Drug and Alcohol Dependence.
- Patricia Stone was among the authors of “Opportunities for Nursing Science to Advance Patient Care in the Time of COVID-19: A Palliative Care Perspective,” published in The Journal of Nursing Scholarship.
- Jingjing Shang, and Patricia Stone were the authors of “Symptoms and Management Strategies for Older Chinese Adults with End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) and Other Chronic Conditions,” published in Journal of Pain and Symptom Management.
- Jacquelyn Taylor was among the authors of “African American Mothers’ Attitudes Towards Genetic Testing in the InterGEN Study,” published in Journal of Community Genetics.
- Gregory Alexander presented “USA Experience COVID 19: Telemedicine and Electronic Personal Protective Equipment in Nursing Homes,” at the national forum of the Aged Care Information Technology Council, “Forced Innovation: The Uptake of Innovation and Technology in Aged and Community Care During COVID-19,” hosted virtually on June 3, 2020.
- Kellie Bryant presented “Simulation Solutions During a Pandemic” as the endnote at the International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation and Learning Annual Conference held virtually on June 26, 2020.
- Amanda Hessels presented, “COVID-19 Information Overload? Time-Saving Strategies to Get You What You Need” at The National Institutes of Nursing Research, Nurse Scientist – Translational Research Interest Group (NS-TRIG) held virtually on June 16, 2020. She was also accepted to present “Epidemiology and Impact of Healthcare Associated Infections in Trauma Patients: A National Data Analysis," and “Measuring Standard Precaution Adherence in US Hospitals: A Large-Scale Picture,” at the AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting in June 2020. Additionally, Amanda Hessels was accepted to present “Comparative Usability of Three Platforms for Collecting Standard Precautions Surveillance Data,” and "A Large-Scale Snapshot of Standard Precaution Adherence: 'Do as I Say Not as I Do'," at the 6th Decennial International Conference on Healthcare Associated Infections in March, 2020.
- Marlene E. McHugh ’08 and Rakiyah Jones ’19 presented “Outpatient Community-Based and Inpatient Palliative Care by Nurse Practitioners in NYC During the COVID Era” at the Advanced Practice Provider Grand Rounds hosted by the Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at the University of California, San Francisco Medical Center. The event was held virtually on July 10, 2020.
- Kathleen Mullen presented “Implementing Collaborative Testing with Exam Wrappers to Improve Metacognition” at the 5th Annual Sigma European Conference hosted virtually on May 29, 2020.
- Nancy Reame presented “Lessons Learned from Long-term Consequences of Traditional Surrogacy for Pay: Implications for Health Policy in Contemporary Third-Party Reproduction” at the 15th World Congress of Bioethics held virtually by the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine on June 18, 2020.
- Cindy Veldhuis presented “Mental Health in the Time of COVID-19” at the Mental Health in the Time of COVID-19: COVID-19 Symposium held virtually by the Mortimer B. Zuckerman Mind Brain Behavior Institute on June 10, 2020.
Awards and Honors
- Sally Aboelela received a Provost Interdisciplinary Teaching Award (ITA) from the Columbia University Office of the Provost and the Columbia University Center for Teaching and Learning.
- Natalie Voigt ’20 received an award from the Provost Innovative Course Module Design Request for Proposals for her study titled, “Increasing Student Critical Thinking Through Case-Based Learning Modules in Medical Surgical Nursing Education.” The award is provided through Columbia University’s Center for Teaching and Learning.
- Gregory Alexander has been appointed Helen Young CUPHSONAA Professor of Nursing, effective July 1, 2020, and Jacquelyn Taylor has been appointed Helen F. Petit Professor of Nursing, effective July 1, 2020.
- Claire Brieva ’17 and Maura Abbott are co-winners for the Above and Beyond award for the month of July 2020 presented by the ColumbiaDoctors Patient Safety Recognition Program.