Jennifer E. Dohrn, DNP, CNM, FAAN
- Associate Professor of Nursing at CUMC
- Assistant Dean, Global Initiatives
Established first freestanding birthing center in innercity community in Southwest Bronx under leadership of Dr. Ruth Lubic; works in ten sub-Saharan African countries since 1993 building capacity of nurses and midwives in HIV care, including first Project Director for PEPFAR/ICAP Global Nurse Capacity Building Program at Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health.
Currently building nursing and midwifery research leadership network in Sub-Saharan Africa and Middle East. Teaches new course Addressing Population-Health Needs on a Global Scale.
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- BS, CUNY Hunter College
- DrNP, Columbia University School of Nursing
- MS, Columbia University School of Nursing
Honors & Awards
- 2012 Association of Nurses in AIDS Care. ANAC Frank Lamendola Achievement for Nursing Leadership in HIV Care. 2012
- 2008 Outstanding Achievement Award, Morris Heights Health Center, Bronx, NY, August 2008
- 2006 Glenda Garvey Teaching Academy, Fellowship for Founders' Group
- 2000 University of Chicago Alumni Public Service Citation
- Nurse-Midwifery, Women's Health
- Increasing capacity of nurses and midwives in Sub Saharan Africa at policy, regulatory, educational and clinical levels for enhancement of nursing profession
GLOBAL HIV/AIDS NURSING INITIATIVE (Federal Gov)
Apr 1 2009 - Feb 28 2018
GLOBAL HIV/AIDS NURSING INITIATIVE - NEPI NY (COORDINATING CENTER CORE) (Federal Gov)
Apr 1 2009 - Mar 31 2017
TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE, IN SUPPORT OF HIV PREVENTION, CARE AND TREATMENT PROGRAM IN SUPPORT OF THE PRESIDENT S EMERGENCY PLAN FOR AIDS RELIEF (PEPFAR) (Federal Gov)
Apr 1 2009 - Mar 31 2015
RAPID SCALE UP ON HIV/AIDS CARE AND TREATMENT SERVICES IN TH E KINGDOM OF SWAZILAND UNDER PEPFAR - NY (Federal Gov)
Sep 30 2009 - Sep 29 2014
PRESIDENTIAL EXPANSION PROJECT FOR AIDS RELIEF - RWANDA (Federal Gov)
Feb 23 2004 - May 22 2012
PROVIDING QUALITY COMPREHENSIVE HIV/AIDS PREVENTION, CARE AND TREATMENT SERVICES IN THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA, UNDER PEPFAR - NY (Federal Gov)
Apr 1 2011 - Mar 31 2012
BROADEN NURSING ACTIVITIES IN HIV CARE AND TREATMENT - NEW Y ORK (Federal Gov)
Apr 1 2009 - Mar 31 2012
PRESIDENTIAL EXPANSION PROJECT FOR AIDS RELIEF - KENYA (Federal Gov)
Feb 23 2004 - Feb 22 2009
- JAIDS Supplement (52(1), 2009. “The Impact of HIV Scale-Up on the Role of Nurses in South Africa: Time for a New Approach.” First Author.
- Online Journal of Health Ethics, Vol. 1, No.1 (2006). Breastfeeding in the HIV epidemic: A midwife's dilemma in international work. Access at http://ethicsjournal.umc.edu
- Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care (2006). South African Nurse-Midwives in the midst of the HIVAIDS epidemic: An assessment of knowledge base regarding antiretroviral treatment.
- ACNM Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, (50(4), 2005). Witnessing a difficult birth: The challenges South African nurse-midwives face in the midst of the HIV epidemic.
- Columbia University School of Nursing (2005). The doctorate of nursing practice DrNP: Setting a new standard in health care. Contributor.