Jennifer E. Dohrn, DNP, CNM, FAAN
Established first freestanding birthing center in innercity community in Southwest Bronx under leadership of Dr. Ruth Lubic; works in ten sub-Saharan African countries since 1993 building capacity of nurses and midwives in HIV care, including first Project Director for PEPFAR/ICAP Global Nurse Capacity Building Program at Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health.
Currently building nursing and midwifery research leadership network in Sub-Saharan Africa and Middle East. Teaches new course Addressing Population-Health Needs on a Global Scale.
- Associate Professor of Nursing at CUMC
- Assistant Dean, Global Initiatives
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- DrNP, Columbia University School of Nursing
- MS, Columbia University School of Nursing
- BS, CUNY Hunter College
Honors & Awards
- 2012 Association of Nurses in AIDS Care. ANAC Frank Lamendola Achievement for Nursing Leadership in HIV Care. 2012
- 2008 Outstanding Achievement Award, Morris Heights Health Center, Bronx, NY, August 2008
- 2006 Glenda Garvey Teaching Academy, Fellowship for Founders' Group
- 2000 University of Chicago Alumni Public Service Citation
- Increasing capacity of nurses and midwives in sub-Saharan Africa across different levels
- Nurse-Midwifery, Women's Health
- JAIDS Supplement (52(1), 2009. "The Impact of HIV Scale-Up on the Role of Nurses in South Africa: Time for a New Approach." First Author.
- Online Journal of Health Ethics, Vol. 1, No.1 (2006). Breastfeeding in the HIV epidemic: A midwife's dilemma in international work. Access at http://ethicsjournal.umc.edu
- Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care (2006). South African Nurse-Midwives in the midst of the HIVAIDS epidemic: An assessment of knowledge base regarding antiretroviral treatment.
- ACNM Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, (50(4), 2005). Witnessing a difficult birth: The challenges South African nurse-midwives face in the midst of the HIV epidemic.
- Columbia University School of Nursing (2005). The doctorate of nursing practice DrNP: Setting a new standard in health care. Contributor.