Nancy Reame, PhD, RN, FAAN
- Mary Dickey Lindsay Professor Emerita of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion in the Faculty of Nursing
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- BS, Nursing, Michgan State University
- MSN, Nursing, Wayne State University
- PhD, Physiology, Wayne State School of Medicine
- Fellowship: University of Michigan Medical School
Honors & Awards
- 2019-2021:Committe of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (ad hoc) on the Clinical Utility of Treating Patients with Compounded Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy
- 2018: Selected as a top nurse scientist in menopause research, 25th Anniversary of the journal, Menopause, sept 2018
- 2017: Lifetime Achievement Award, Society for Menstrual Cycle Research
- 2009: Fellow, New York Academy of Medicine
- 2008: National Mentor, Robert Wood Johnson Nurse Faculty Scholars Program, (inaugural year)
- 2007: Trudy Bush Lectureship, Institute for Women's Health, Virginia Commonwealth U.
- 2002-2008: Board of Trustees, North American Menopause Society
- 2001: Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 1997: Member, Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences
- 1996-1997: IOM/American Academy of Nursing Distinguished Nurse Scholar
- 1991-1996: Director and PI (NIH U54) National Center for Infertility Research, University of Michigan
- 1984-2005: Our Bodies, Ourselves. Ch 25 Infertility and Assisted Reproduction (2005); Ch 12 Sexuality and the Menstrual Cycle (1984; 1992; 1996) Simon & Schuster, NY.
- 1984: Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
Reame NK. Estetrol for menopause symptoms: the Cinderella of estrogens or just another fairy tale? Menopause. 2020 Aug;27(8):841-843. PMID: 32576802.
Reame N.K. (2020) Toxic Shock Syndrome and Tampons: The Birth of a Movement and a Research ‘Vagenda’. In: Bobel C., Winkler I., Fahs B., Hasson K., Kissling E., Roberts TA. (eds) The Palgrave Handbook of Critical Menstruation Studies. Palgrave Macmillan, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-0614-7_51
Reame NE. Menopausal night sweats: more evidence for long-term repercussions of childhood abuse on women's health. Menopause. 2019 Oct;26(10):1085-1087. PMID: 31568096.
Reame NK. More promising news (mostly) on manipulating neurokinin B activity as a nonhormonal treatment of hot flashes. Menopause. 2020 Apr;27(4):375-376. doi: 10.1097/GME.0000000000001530. PubMed PMID: 32132443.
Schnall R, Jia H, Reame N. Association Between HIV Symptom Burden and Inflammatory Cytokines: An Analysis by Sex and Menopause Stage. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2020 Jan;29(1):119-127. doi: 10.1089/jwh.2019.7749. Epub 2019 Aug 21. PubMed PMID: 31433243; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6983730.
Schnall R, Liu J, Reame N. Ecological momentary assessment of HIV versus reproductive health symptoms in women of differing reproductive stages living with HIV. Menopause. 2019 Dec;26(12):1375-1384. doi: 10.1097/GME.0000000000001404. PubMed PMID: 31567866; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6893076.
Berent-Spillson A, Kelley AS, Persad CC, Love T, Frey KA, Reame NE, Koeppe R, Zubieta JK, Smith YR. Postmenopausal hormone treatment alters neural pathways but does not improve verbal cognitive function. Menopause. 2018 Dec;25(12):1424-1431. doi: 10.1097/GME.0000000000001157. PubMed PMID: 29994967; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6265072.
Reame NE. The legacy of tampon-related toxic shock syndrome: feats, failures and future challenges for women's health scholars. Women's reproductive health (Philadelphia, Pa.). 2018 December; 5(4):250. doi: 10.1080/23293691.2018.1523118.
Schnall R, Jia H, Olender S, Gradilla M, Reame N. In people living with HIV (PLWH), menopause (natural or surgical) contributes to the greater symptom burden in women: results from an online US survey. Menopause. 2018 Jul;25(7):744-752. doi: 10.1097/GME.0000000000001083. PubMed PMID: 29509596; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6014890.
CortÃ©s YI, Reame N, Zeana C, Jia H, Ferris DC, Shane E, Yin MT. Cardiovascular Risk in HIV-Infected and Uninfected Postmenopausal Minority Women: Use of the Framingham Risk Score. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2017 Mar;26(3):241-248. doi: 10.1089/jwh.2015.5736. Epub 2016 Sep 9. PubMed PMID: 27611626; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5361765.
Loike JD, Reame NE. Mito-mom Conundrum. The Scientist. 2017 January; 31(1):20.
Bakken S, Reame N. The Promise and Potential Perils of Big Data for Advancing Symptom Management Research in Populations at Risk for Health Disparities. Annu Rev Nurs Res. 2016;34:247-60. doi: 10.1891/0739-6686.34.247. PubMed PMID: 26673385.
Close S, Fennoy I, Smaldone A, Reame N. Phenotype and Adverse Quality of Life in Boys with Klinefelter Syndrome. J Pediatr. 2015 Sep;167(3):650-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2015.06.037. Epub 2015 Jul 21. PubMed PMID: 26205184; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6721986.
CortÃ©s YI, Yin MT, Reame NK. Bone Density and Fractures in HIV-infected Postmenopausal Women: A Systematic Review. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2015 Jul-Aug;26(4):387-98. doi: 10.1016/j.jana.2015.03.005. Epub 2015 Apr 3. Review. PubMed PMID: 26066693; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4573531.
McCook JG, Bailey BA, Williams SL, Anand S, Reame NE. Differential Contributions of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Manifestations to Psychological Symptoms. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2015 Jul;42(3):383-94. doi: 10.1007/s11414-013-9382-7. PubMed PMID: 24390359.
Rouen PA, Krein SL, Reame NE. Postmenopausal Symptoms in Female Veterans with Type 2 Diabetes: Glucose Control and Symptom Severity. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2015 Jun;24(6):496-505. doi: 10.1089/jwh.2014.4863. Epub 2015 May 4. PubMed PMID: 25938989; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4490769.
Reame NK. Equalizing equol for hot flash relief? Still more questions than answers. Menopause. 2015 May;22(5):480-2. doi: 10.1097/GME.0000000000000469. PubMed PMID: 25871002.
- Reame NE, Altemus M, Cortes Y. Perimenopause joint pain in urban Hispanic women: a qualitative study. Nursing Research (Mar/April) 62: e21, 2013.
- Close, Smaldone, Fennoy, Reame, Gray using information technology and social networking strategies for recruitment of research participants. J Med Internet Research 2013: 15 (e48).
- Hall, KS, O'Connell-White, V Rickert, N Reame, C Westhoff. An exploratory analysis of associations between eating disordered symptoms, perceived weight changes and oral contraceptive discontinuation among young minority women.J Adolescent Health 52: 58-63, 2013.
- Merrill JA, Yoon SM, Larson EL, Honig JA, Reame NE. Using social network analysis to examine collaborative relationships among PhD and DNP students and faculty in a research-intensive university school of nursing. Nursing Outlook 61: 109-116, 2013.
- Reame, NE. Fat, Fit or Famished? No clear answers from the Women's Health Initiatve about diet and dieting for longstanding hot flashes. Menopause 2012; 19: 956-958.
- Smith YR, Bowen L, Love TM, Berent-Spillson A, Frey, KA, Persad CC, Reame NE, Koeppe RA, Zubieta, JK. Early initiation of hormone therapy in menopausal women is associated with increased hippocampaland posterior cingulated cholinergic activity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011 Nov; 96 (11):E1761-70
- Kelli Hall, K. O'Connell White, N. Reame, C. Westhoff. Studying the use of oral contraception: a review of measurement approaches. J Women's Health 19: 2203-2210, 2010.
- Nirenberg, A.,Reame, N., Cato, K. & Larson, E. (2010). Factors Associated with Oncology Nurses' Use of National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPG) for Chemotherapy-Induced Neutropenia (CIN) and Febrile Neutropenia (FN)./Oncology Nursing Forum 37:765-73, 2010
- Berent-Spillson, A. Persad C, Love T, Tkaczyk A, Wang H, Reame N, Frey K, Zubieta JK, Smith Y. Early menopause hormone use influences brain regions used for visual working memory. Menopause 2010 July;17 (4):692-9.
- Rouen P, Lukacs J, Reame NE. Adipokine concentrations in non-obese women: A study of reproductive aging, body mass index and menstrual cycle effects. Biological Research for Nursing (special issue: Women's Health, N Woods, editor)2010 July; 12 (1):54-61.
- Reame NE, Lukacs JL, Padmanabhan V, Eyvazzadeh A, Smith Y and Zubieta JK. Black cohosh has central opioid activity in postmenopausal women: evidence from naloxone blockade and PET imaging studies. Menopause vol 15, 2008.
- Reame NE, Lukacs JL, Olton P, Ansbacher R, and Padmanabhan V. Differential effects of aging on activin A and its binding protein follistatin across the menopause transition. Fertility and Sterility, 2007; 88:1003-1005.