Diversity and Cultural Affairs
Columbia University School of Nursing is committed to social justice and health equity, promoting an anti-racism environment, and fostering a culture of inclusion. Diversity in our education, research, practice, and our programming within and outside our community leads to transformation, innovation, and leadership in nursing.
Our culture of inclusion aims to:
- Promote a work environment of mutual respect and collaboration for all members of the Columbia Nursing community.
- Uphold the honor and dignity of each student, faculty, staff, patient, client, and visitor in all our interactions.
- Promote an environment of inclusiveness where diversity is embraced and celebrated in a climate of tolerance, transparency, accountability, and fair and honest communication.
- Engender a community in which all persons can work and learn together to promote the highest level of intra-personal reflection about self in an effort to mitigate implicit biases and to engage in inter-professional collaborations.
The Office of Diversity and Cultural Affairs (ODCA) serves as an internal support system to help advance our social justice and health equity mission and foster a culture of inclusion. Goals include increasing diversity in the recruitment, retention, and mentoring of students, faculty, and staff; providing a platform for open discussion of critical issues; and advancing community connections. Educational forums aim to inform, engage, and develop a deeper understanding of the social/structural/economic/political determinants of health, as well as personal growth challenges that impact one’s ability to see others through a human, social justice lens.
Diversity and Cultural Affairs Events
- Tuesday, February 7, 2023 to Wednesday, February 8, 202312:00 PM to 2:00 PM
- Thursday, February 9, 20234:00 PM to 6:30 PM
- Thursday, March 9, 202310:00 AM to 11:00 AM