Helene Fuld Health Trust Simulation Center
The Helene Fuld Health Trust Simulation Center at Columbia University School of Nursing is a two-story 16,000-square-foot state-of-the-art facility that enhances nursing education by simulating clinical practice using sophisticated technologies in a safe learning environment. The Helene Fuld Health Trust Simulation Center’s main objective is to create a simulated clinical environment that allows students to practice true-to-life clinical scenarios. The center was designed specifically for our nursing students and includes realistic rooms that resemble the clinical setting, the latest human patient simulators, and all up-to-date medical equipment. The center consist of 12 simulation rooms, including two in-patient hospital rooms, an operating room, a labor and delivery suite, two large multipurpose rooms, four out-patient exam rooms, a health assessment, and a patient interview room. Each of the simulation rooms have video recording capabilities in addition to laptops at each station for charting. It is designed to promote patient safety and prepare students for real-world practice in an ever-changing, complex health care system. Simulation offers an opportunity for students to practice nursing skills, clinical judgment, and critical thinking without jeopardizing patient safety.
In addition to regularly scheduled classes, the simulation center offers many additional educational sessions for all students throughout the year. Each week we have open practice sessions where all students can practice procedural and assessment skills under the guidance of an instructor. The simulation center also offers various simulation courses which focus on specific skills and educational courses that will enhance the clinical skills of the registered nurse and nurse practitioner student and, in addition, interprofessional simulations with other health care disciplines.
- Students are expected to wear their clinical uniform as determined by their program during all lab sessions. Students without uniform will not be permitted into class.
- Students are expected to arrive 15 minutes prior to their simulation session. Students are also expected to complete any pre-simulation assignments, as designated by faculty or by the staff of the Helene Fuld Center.
- Students must inform faculty of any illnesses or absences prior to the start of a simulation activity.
- Video recording or taking of pictures are strictly prohibited in the Helene Fuld Center unless prior permission is obtained.
- The simulation center is fully equipped with a video and audio recording system. By entering the center, you are subject to being recorded. All simulations have the potential of being recorded, or being viewed live through a control or debriefing room. Audio and video recordings are only accessible by course faculty and staff of the Helene Fuld Center and are used for learning purposes only. Participants will be able to view recordings in debriefing situations, and as needed with faculty or simulation staff.
- No food or drinks are allowed in the simulation center.
- Students must wear their CUIMC ID at all times. The simulation center is locked, however, students can enter the main simulation doors with their CUIMC ID. Students are only allowed in the simulation center during the scheduled classes and with faculty.
- All back packs, coats, and personal belongings are required to be secured in lockers before each simulation session.